Camp Dark Waters is a camp for about one-hundred boys and girls under Friends (Quaker) leadership. Samuel R. Matlack, a friend who loved children, founded camp in 1928 to provide a simple natural setting for their summer enjoyment.
Camp Dark Waters serves its community of campers and staff by running recreational activities that are fun and serve to nurture the spiritual, intellectual, physical, and emotional life of young Friends and others. Based on the Quaker testimonies of Peace, Education, Simplicity, Stewardship, Equality, and Integrity, our diverse community builds new friendships in a “family” atmosphere. We live and play together and learn to appreciate one another in our outdoor camp setting.
- I have the right to be happy and to be treated with kindness. This means that no one will laugh at me, ignore me or hurt my feelings
- I have the right to be myself. This means that no one will treat me unfairly because I am fat or thin, fast or slow, strong or weak, boy or girl. I am different because I am myself
- I have the right to be safe. This means that no one will hit me, kick me, push me or pinch me. I will be free from physical threats
- I have the right to hear and be heard. This means that no one will yell, scream, or shout and my opinions and desires will be considered in any plans we make
- I have the right to learn about myself. This means that I will be free to express my feelings and opinions without being interrupted or punished.
Camp Dark Waters is a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization. Our Federal Tax Id Number is 22-3748083.